10 Fascinating Facts About Cake
You’ll see one at every birthday party, inside every graduation celebration, and in every bridal shower banquet ball in Bucks County, PA—it’s cake, and it’s got a deliciously long history. If you’re a cake lover, read on to learn ten interesting facts that you definitely didn’t know!
- The meaning of the word “cake” has changed drastically over time. In the Middle Ages, a cake was a flat round of bread that was baked on both sides.
- Sonya Thomas holds the world record for the most fruit cake eaten 10 minutes. Thomas scarfed down a whopping 4 pounds and 14.25oz of fruit cake in 2003.
- Cupcakes date back to 19th century England. They got their name because they’d often be baked in pottery cups using leftover cake batter.
- The first birthday cake was given in 1785. Instead of being eaten with friends and family, the birthday cake used to be given as a gift for the person to enjoy themselves on their special day.
- In 17th century England, a common superstition said that if you put a chunk of fruitcake under your pillow, you’d dream of the person you were going to marry.
- The first wedding cake wasn’t cake as we know it today—it was bread. In ancient Rome, guests would break a loaf of bread over the bride’s head to invite fertility and good fortune into her marriage.
- The biggest wedding cake in the world was baked in February of 2004 by the Mohegan Sun Hotel and Casino in Uncasville, Connecticut. It weighed 15,032 pounds!
- Dubbed the “Pirate’s Fantasy,” the most expensive cake in the world was worth $35 million. It featured a number of luxury qualities, including plenty of edible gold and sugar-encrusted sapphires.
- November 26th is National Cake Day, while January 27th is National Chocolate Cake Day.
- Queen Victoria of Great Britain is supposedly the first person to ever put white icing on a cake. This is where the term “royal icing” comes from.
Can’t get enough cake? We offer a wide range of cakes and desserts in our Bucks County, PA banquet halls. From decadent black forest cake to the traditional white wedding cake, Village Catering’s desserts will complement any special event. Give us a call today to learn more!